Ladies and Gentlemen let the Eightieth

As I slowly rise up to the arena I feel my heart pounding out of my chest, I am worried that it will be a desert theme and my skills will be rendered useless. Once my eyes make contact with the arena I smirk, it is a tropical theme. My knowledge of plants give me the ability to make people hurt, to make them suffer and writhe in agony. I see the other tributes terrified of the course and some start balling, however I am still undaunted and know I can kill these weaklings. The scene of plants gives me a rush of pure power, and I feel invincible. I locate a shiny, metal sickle on the far edge of the cornucopia, and ready myself to dash out and my weapon. I can use my sickle as a murder weapon, a climbing tool, a plant harvesting device and a shield.

As the clock ticked down I prepared myself, and I launched myself like a bullet on the mark of zero, my blood rushed as I dashed to grab my sickle. One, two, three seconds and I reach my sickle and dash off into the forest. I see people screaming and pulsing out fresh blood behind me, this is going to be a fun game.

Read 3 comments

1. First of all, I liked your use of sensory detail, which really showed me how your character is ready to kill. However, I did notice in some sentances there were a few grammar mistakes. For example, in this sentence: As I slowly rise up to the arena I feel my heart pounding out of my chest, I am worried that it will be a desert theme and my skills will be rendered useless.
    It should instead have a semicolon between “chest” and “I”.
    Also, in this sentence: My knowledge of plants give me the ability to make people hurt, to make them suffer and writhe in agony. It should be gives instead of give.
    Great writing!

2. This was a really great story Jessica!! I really liked your opening sentence; “As I slowly rise up to the arena I feel my heart pounding out of my chest, I am worried that it will be a desert theme and my skills will be rendered useless.” It really grabbed my attention. If i could ask that you change a few things it would be in these two sentences, that you fix the grammar mistakes
    1. “As I slowly rise up to the arena I feel my heart pounding out of my chest, I am worried that it will be a desert theme and my skills will be rendered useless.” There should be a semicolon instead of comma between “Chest” and “I”
    2. “My knowledge of plants give me the ability to make people hurt, to make them suffer and writhe in agony. ” It should be “gives” instead of “give”
    Otherwise this was an amazing piece!